Every week, Orlando Music News highlights a local band. A good local band. This week: Orlando’s titans of high-quality hip-hop, Solillaquists of Sound, who are – so far – the first band to answer the “what upcoming shows” question with two dates in France. (Not to mention the “other projects” question with a casual “Lauryn Hill” response.)
SoS will be headlining this weekend’s Indie Fall Fest at Firestone Live, which will also feature Kevin Barnes (Of Montreal), Grand Buffet , and nearly 50 local/regional bands, all of whom are pretty great. There will be six (!) stages, and it’s only $10. You are going, right? (More info here.)
Band members’ names & instruments:
Tonya Combs-backup vocals and poet
Divinci-MPCist on 3 MPCs
Any band members currently/formerly in other projects?
Divinci is now in Ms. Lauryn Hill’s band, Alex is working on a solo project, and Swamburger is currently running for Mayor while creating a solo album of his own.
- Indie Fall Fest Sept 24th at Firestone
- Run Ar Puns in Chateaulin – Nov 11th
- Foyer de I’INSA in Rennes – Nov 12th
Describe your sound:
(F.A.H.E.E.M) Free Astral Hip Hop Extraterrestrially Energized Message
1) What has been your most memorable show so far?
I’d have to say it was in France at a Festival called: Printemps de Bourges.
2) Which local band is your favorite one to play a show with?
Right now it would probably be Brownstudy.
3) What description gets used for your band that you would most like to correct people on? Why?
Haha, people used to say we reminded them of the Black Eyed Peas. There’s a huge difference, they suck, we don’t.
4) What’s your favorite thing about being an Orlando band? What’s your least favorite?
Favorite thing about being an Orlando based band is being surrounded by so much talent. Least favorite is the lack of support.
5) Any big news to share?
New double album and all new Solilla show, coming soon…