Every week at Orlando Music News, the site highlights a local band. A good local band. This week, Surfin Serf.
Surfin Serf plays Monday, Aug. 1 at Will’s Pub for Great Deceivers’ album release party, with the Pauses and Saskatchewan.
The band was born in 2005; this iteration is one year old.
Band members’ names & instruments:
- Byron Lynch – Voice / Guitar
- Russell Harrison – Guitar / Synth / Voice
- McCarty Johnson – Bass Guitar / Voice
- Jorgen Trygved – Drums
Any band members currently/formerly in other projects?
Russell is in Permanent Nap, Telethon, and Land O Boys; he was in Slaves. McCarty is in Chieftain, No Dick, Slow Jamz, and (was? in) Mowgli. Byron was in The Shreds.
Currently available releases:
No Meta (2010), a self-released 7″
- Mon August 1 at Will’s Pub with Great Deceivers, The Pauses, and Saskatchewan
- Sat August 13 at Alchemy
Describe your sound:
R. Kelly fronts the Starship Enterprise house band
1) What has been your most memorable show so far?
We rang in 2011 at the Illest New Year’s Eve block party with a lot of good friends and projections of a dear pet. No cops came and people did their own recycling!
2) Which local band is your favorite one to play a show with?
Magic and the Johnsons
3) What description gets used for your band that you would most like to correct people on? Why?
Most people don’t attempt to describe our band, honestly. Russell likes to tell adults it’s a “jazz” band.
4) What’s your favorite thing about being an Orlando band? What’s your least favorite?
Favorite? People showing up at 10pm and missing our band play. But honestly, how much the scenes/groups of friends integrate. Probably because there are so few true heads and DIY-friendly spaces to play in.
Least favorite? Freeloaders who don’t donate to touring bands.
5) Any big news to share?
It’s nothing serious, but I think McCarty and Jennifer Lopez have been going on a few dates.