Yes, we need this. From the festival’s self-description:
Accidental Music Festival will take place from September 4th – 13th, 2011, in downtown Orlando. It will be the first event of its kind in orlando, featuring ten days of concerts, public discussions with composers, open rehearsals of the performing ensembles, and a workshop for middle school and high school age composers.
Ahh, interesting classical music, New Music … things that Orlando is notably lacking in, so applause toward the organizers of AMF for being brave enough to step into the breach. The lineup is still taking shape, and it doesn’t edge too far into the avant-garde (in fact, if anything, I’d say the schedule is pretty conservative). Hopefully people will support it. Here’s the lineup as it currently stands:
- Sunday, 9/4/11 – Flautist/pianist/composer Emily Hay performs at Timucua.
- Monday 9/5 – Open rehearsal of John Alvarez’s “In The Beginning” at Urban Rethink. 7PM.
- Tuesday, 9/6 – Bryan Eubanks and Jason Kahn perform at Urban Rethink. 7PM
- Wednesday 9/7 – Open rehearsal of Juan Trigos’ “Ricercare VI” at Urban Rethink. 7PM
- Thursday 9/8 – Chamber music concert at Urban Rethink. 7PM
- Friday 9/9 –
- Saturday 9/10 –
- Sunday 9/11 – Big band and Orchestra concert at Timucua (7PM) Student composers’ workshop (3PM)
- Monday 9/12 –
- Tuesday 9/13 – Dieter Hennings performs a solo guitar recital at University of Central Florida. 8PM