But we’re not here to talk about my taste in pizza and rock bands, are we? Wait, maybe we are.
Thursday, Jan. 22
- Since I’m getting this up a little late tonight, let’s just say that you should be going to Orlando Metal Night @ Will’s. There aren’t any bands playing, but there will definitely be some entertainment. And maybe a few jean vests over leather jackets. Or, God if we’re lucky, that dude.
Friday, Jan. 23
- Eugene Snowden is bringing his funky solo stick to the Little Fish Pond in Sanford.
- Local roots/freak/indie poppers Alias Punch play with Little Insects and Jarl Q at Uncle Lou’s
- Soprano Monica Yunus is singing with the Metropolitan Opera this season in Manon, La Rondine, and Don Giovanni. Tonight, she’s taking time off from La Rondine for a performance at the Tiedtke Concert Hall at Rollins.
Some rock bands are playing at the Back Booth … OH HOLY SHIT GREG “STAINBOY” REINEL’S GOT A NEW BAND!!!! That new band is callled Cherry Spoiler and counts ex-Rocket 88 guitarist Mark Zayas as a member, as well as “a few ex-Luxurious Python street urchins.” In his inimitable fashion, Stainboy describes the sound thusly: “a melodious, punk-laced, old-school power chord wallop, slatered with a steaming pile of ’70s glam.” In other words, exactly what you expected. Opening: A Palace in Persia and Jim O’Rourke.
Saturday, Jan. 24
- It’s a screamo/hardcore blowout at the Black Box Collective: Written & Erased, Cassettes On Fire, The Greatest Pinball on Earth!, The Sea Swallowed Us Whole, Vessels of Energia, Park Ranger Barkwood
First appeared Jan. 22, 2009 at Orlandoweekly.com.